Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Promise little, deliver less

Historically our politicians have not been reluctant to shower us with promises. Although President Obama’s multitude of “I will’s” is currently in the spotlight, all of them are eager to tell us what they will or will not do once elected to office. There is nothing wrong with that per se because voters desire to know each candidate’s objectives and priorities. The process has become so cynical, however, that political promises possess a value similar to a 15 year-old Yugo…practically nil. With apologies to Dionne Warwick and other musical artists I offer these lyrics written by Richard Gillinson and David Hayes:



Promises, promises
I’m all through with promises now
I don’t know how I got the nerve to wall out
If I shout, remember I feel free.

Now I can look at myself and be proud
I’m laughing out loud
Oh, promises, promises
This is where the promises end.

I don’t pretend that what was wrong can be right
Every night I sleep now, no more lies
Things that I promised myself fell apart
But I found my heart.

As the lyrics suggest, I’m done with the promises…especially those that promise me more. My admonition for political candidates for this year and the near future is “Promise little and deliver less.” If I were running for office today, I would strike the following words from my lexicon: grants, aid, new laws, new programs, except, but, underfunded etc. Unless a candidate pledges to labor to restore the country or the state to basic Constitutional fundamentals, then they will lack the vision that is necessary for restoring this republic as a standard for freedom. Any other response from a candidate would imply that the individual is fearful of the restoration movement and is merely waffling so as to not offend anyone. In the past we have elected people to office whose rhetoric indicated that they shared our values and our love for liberty. Too often, however, they used lofty language and broad generalities to explain their positions. After arriving in Columbus or Washington, they soon found themselves co-opted by the system.

Candidates, say it straight, say it loud, no weasel words….smaller government, lower taxes, more freedom. Promise little, deliver less…government.

Please comment or email: cnpearl@woh.rr.com

No comments:

Post a Comment