Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Let the Light Shine

The light began to shine ever so faintly in 2004. Its luminance increased with every misstep by the Republicans in Congress until the summer of 2009 when I couldn’t take it any more. The coup de grace was when Senator Mitch McConnell announced that the Senate Minority was not going to blast and filibuster the massive healthcare takeover, but, instead, were going to introduce a series of amendments that improved the bill “on the margins.” I….was…livid. “Fight the SOB, you cowardly lizard,” I remember screaming at my radio. Thus began my thorough self-analysis. For my entire political life I had been a conservative Republican. I believe in a merciful, loving and righteous God whose Son came to Earth to die for my sinful nature thereby placing me under the mantle of grace if I would repent and accept His lordship. I believe that life is precious and begins at the instant of conception. A strong military deterrence is a critical component of my USA-based worldview. I believe that the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution of the United States are inspired and are the bedrocks of our Constitutional republic. I believe that these two documents are sufficient unto themselves and require no enhancements (aside from lawful amendments) by institutions or persons who are themselves imperfect. I fear a government that grows beyond its Constitutional mandate for it has no heart, no mind and no soul. Because of its amoral foundation, such a government has no internal mechanism for restraining its growth, its power, and its abusive behavior. Only when good people with lofty intentions strictly adhere to Constitutional limits can our nation reach its highest level of achievement….whether political or economic.


So, I was a conservative Republican whose very principles and deeply held beliefs were being challenged, ignored and violated by members of my own party on a daily basis. Without exaggeration, I can state that at least once per day since my August epiphany, I have discovered an element of Republican neglect, compromise or perfidy. When my eyes were covered with scales, I did not see. It grieves me to possess this painful awareness. Many of my dearest friends and colleagues are serving in government and are tripping forward unaware that their eyes are clouded. They’re merely governing. Cutting deals when necessary. Compromising when it’s politically desirable. Attempting to navigate the legislative minefield without triggering massive voter discontent. Yeah, yeah I believe in the Constitution, they affirm, and then abuse it with their next vote.

It was important for me to find a political nesting place that had few rules, but one that would zealously honor them. Smaller Constitutional government, lower taxes as a result of smaller government, and more personal freedom works for me. A smaller less-intrusive government will by its very definition result in more personal freedom for citizens. Preserve, protect and defend persons and property plus the enforcement of voluntary contracts should be the only portfolio of a Constitutional government. Anything else involves using government power to coerce other people or to take their property. Theft and tyranny are always theft and tyranny…even when benignly implemented by the state. My dear old friends have forgotten the lessons of history. I mourn their straying from the path of honest and faithful self government. I love them. I respect many of them, but I cannot follow their path to disintegration. I must follow my own.

Comment or email:  cnpearl@woh.rr.com

1 comment:

  1. Amen, Charlie.
    I am right behind you.

    Diana

    ReplyDelete