Sunday, June 5, 2011

Littlestuff Weekender-6-5-2011


Littlestuff Weekender-6-4-2011
Today we move into our 9 bedroom house in Duck, NC. Serious reading, eating, occasional imbibing, a few cigars and some terrific fellowship will mark the week ahead. Getting here posed some challenges. The first occurred when we had been on the road for a mere 7 minutes. We were driving north on I-75 to make our connection to the Ohio Turnpike (I-80) when we saw a massive traffic jam ahead (seems the White House entourage had chosen that moment to leave the Toledo Jeep plant).  After several detours and delays, we managed to get on the turnpike 35 minutes behind schedule. Oh well, the clown didn’t have my vote to begin with so my inconvenience didn’t cost him anything.

We arrived in Duck, NC around 11:30am on Saturday and proceeded to unload the vehicles to set up our housekeeping for the next week or so. Counting the time on Friday to drive to pick up Shaun, my grandson, I spent 16 hours on the road in that day and a half. I discovered that I can still do it with minimal deterioration of driving skills and alertness. As I write this early Sunday morning, I realize that the recovery is taking longer. It’s good to be here, however, even if it will take the remainder of the week to recover enough to go home….an intriguing cost/benefit ratio.

Frosty is spending his/our vacation with P.J., Heather, Sully and Oliver so his separation anxiety should be minimal. When we arrived, I enjoyed my first Cohiba of the week thanks to Ron who pulled them out right after the unloading was completed. As of Sunday morning, no adult beverages have passed these tender lips…maybe Wednesday.

If you are like me and try to make some sense out of the array of economic data, then the warning lights should be flashing, the sirens blaring and the sky darkening. Some of it is optimistically “OK,” and some of it is alarming, but the amazing inconsistency of the various data should cause one to pause. No one knows the truth, and none of them tells the truth. It leads to a “Ruh, Roh,” awakening. Don’t be caught asleep.

We have fascinating subjects for columns in the days ahead. As with all things of this nature, we have to do some research to verify information and justify our conclusions. (Doesn’t always work that way) Following the data verification comes the writing in a way that hopefully adds to the conversation.  We’ll see how it works out.

Progress for Part III of our book hit a snag, but is now back on track. It’s an enjoyable but agonizing process that has become a phenomenal learning experience for me. In addition to the mechanics involved in publishing I have added to my understanding about history and economics. Win, lose or draw, this book effort has been a valuable one for me.

The schedule for Littlestuff in the coming week is rather unsettled at this moment. I’ll attempt to write every day, but I’m certain that my writing routine will be somewhat disturbed. Time will tell.


No comments:

Post a Comment