Wednesday, November 23, 2011

The Cherry Table


One of my favorite pastimes is woodworking. Because of my fading eyesight and diminishing digital dexterity, I have begun to restore furniture as a reasonable alternative. The first few pieces that I tackled were some that my grandfather, a master carpenter, had built. These included a birch dresser, an oak whatnot stand and an oak chair. My purpose as a refinisher is to restore the structural integrity of the piece but to allow the nicks, cuts and stains to remain. I believe that if a piece of furniture has survived daily use by one or more families or generations, it has earned each mark of honor. Obviously if the flaw negatively impacts the sturdiness or strength of the piece, I will correct it. I then attempt to coat and finish the article as closely to the original as I can determine. If I do not foul things up too badly, the final work is a strong and glossy piece of furniture that proudly bears its history through its scars.

Last week I felt confident enough to try to restore a cherry coffee table that I had purchased at auction for the princely sum of $1.00. Although the craftsman’s name was obscured, it was clear to me that it had once been a grand focal point in someone’s parlor or living room. The simple yet elegant inlay work complements the grooving and scrolling on the gracefully curving legs. It appeared as if someone had played hockey on the surface, and the sides and the small drawer have numerous gouges of varying sizes. For a few days sanding and gluing were my primary activities. The old piece began to reflect some of her former glory as the grime and finishes of many years gone by were slowly removed. The sturdy old gal needed some TLC and healthy doses of Gorilla Glue as I sought to recapture her basic structural integrity. Now the cherry table was finally ready for a makeover…..wild cherry for the basic unit and light cherry on the inlays. I’ve not yet completed the table, but I can picture the final product……and it’s good.

If you are familiar with my writing, you have been anticipating the object lesson from this exercise in my shop. Here it is: the old cherry table (let’s say 224 years old---just for giggles) is a metaphor for our nation. Once glorious and stately it has been beaten and mistreated in recent times. Although the basic frame is intact (The Constitution), it does need some tightening, gluing and reinforcement. Our devotion to our primary document has come apart and must be retightened. The sanding represents our removing all the noxious toxins that we have draped across our beloved First Document. Wild-eyed interpretations, legislative acts that exceed their constitutional power, and executive mandates that are not allowed by law must be ground down and eliminated.

The numerous scars and gouges are representative of the need from time to time to amend The Constitution thus changing or tweaking its original structure. Some of the deeper gouges or wider cracks must be repaired to maintain the document’s integrity (I would suggest eliminating the 16th and 17th Amendments and clarifying the 14th). Once we have strengthened and cleaned our table we can begin to apply the various coats of finish. The finish in my model represents our commitment and fidelity to The Constitution of the United States of America. Each coat enhances the beauty, strengthens the piece, and preserves it for a long and useful future. As the layers are applied, the beauty of the table (and wisdom of the Constitution) becomes more evident.

Liberty is the glue that holds our table together. Prosperity is represented by the intricate inlay work….it’s an obvious enhancement because of freedom. The stripper and sandpaper represent the difficult and rough tasks we face as we attempt to restore our Republic. Clearly the gouges and cuts are representative of the various attempts to alter her---some successful, some not. Staining is commitment. Each layer represents a new generation that embraces the entire document and seeks to preserve it from time and weather.

The glory can be restored to our abandoned table. It takes time and dedication, but the end result is amazing to behold. It is worth the effort. The table is NOT for sale…at any time…for any price. It is priceless.

Tue. & Wed., 6-7:00pm, 1370 WSPD, Toledo  www.wspd.com




No comments:

Post a Comment