Saturday, December 31, 2011

Littlestuff Weekender-12-31-2011


Thanks to all of you for your forbearance this past week as things were a little discombobulated for me. First, FaceBook banned me from its exalted pages with no explanation or reasoning and inexplicably reinstated me one day later. Go figure. Ban little old harmless lovable me? Also, I sat in on the 1370 WSPD Morning News Show for Fred LeFebvre Tuesday through Friday so my personal writing and correspondence schedules were disrupted. I spent nearly the entire week trying to determine which foot should step forward because my internal time clock was off kilter. The good news is that the station still has its license (listeners are another issue), and my rightful place among the Face Book hoi poi has been restored. We enter 2012 with all systems “go.”

As a consequence of my political commentary, I find myself doing a great amount of economic research. Politics affect the economy, and the economy drives politics. It’s a symbiotic and seriously flawed relationship. For example common sense would tell us that the Fed’s artificially low interest rates will eventually result in the boiling pot exploding and future interest rates will zoom out of sight. However, in recent weeks the dollar has been gaining strength because other global currencies are becoming weaker as their underlying economies falter. Our strong dollar will be helpful as we import goods and services but will have the opposite effect on our export efforts. People and businesses in other countries will have to pay higher prices for our products because of the relative difference in currency values. All currency values are always relative. The good news appears to be that our national economy is viewed more favorably by global traders than the economies of most other nations. The bad news is that if our exports slide because of currency valuations, then our trade deficit will get larger and more of our “relatively strong” dollars will find new homes offshore. “Tis a complicated world we live in….surrounded by subtlety and nudged by nuance.

There are a number of uncertainties that are challenging us in the near future. Clearly we must be vigilant without losing our liberties to infiltrators and terrorist sympathizers who may wish to harm us. We have an administration whose EPA director seems committed to closing down or severely restricting some of our electrical generating plants. Our ad hoc electric grid system is but one catastrophe or terror event from being critically damaged. Add to the prospect of plants being off line the knowledge that “all knowing” government is promoting more electric vehicles which add stress to the system, and we realistically face some potential power shortages or brownouts. In my Monday column I will be addressing some my concerns about the near future and difficulties we may face. Because we are terribly unprepared for hardship (unlike our parents and grandparents who had basic skills for living), I would encourage you to check out a book by Holly Drennan Deyo, “Dare to Prepare,” which is filled with all kinds of useful information for difficult times such as weather incidents and so forth.

Now comes the time in the College Football Bowl schedule that I begin to pay attention. Previously only the Ohio University and Toledo games piqued my interest, but the weekend ahead has some promising contests. Along with a robust college basketball schedule, I’ll use this weekend for some huge doses of R&R. Not so much reading, studying or writing.

The end of one year and the emergence of another is an arbitrary event. Because of the 365.25 day orbit of our planet, we could begin or end a year on any day and repeat the process 365 days later (366 for you Sadie Hawkins fans). Nevertheless whatever the day, it is a time for reflection and for planning and goal-setting. Each year brings its challenges and surprises, its joys and sorrows. As my elders warned me during my profligate youth, the calendar turns wildly as time slips by. Some days are tortuously slow, but still the time, the days, the weeks and months seem to accelerate with each passing year. At the risk of promoting a saccharine persona that is at odds with my curmudgeonly one, I urge you to cherish each moment, to love all who will allow it, and to reignite your commitment to liberty. If time insists on speeding up as we grow older, we may as well enjoy it as a free people. May God bless your lives and your endeavors, and may you have the greatest and most wonderful Happy New Year!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for everything………..

Charlie


No comments:

Post a Comment