Friday, March 23, 2012

A Party of One


In a former life I was a conservative Republican, and in my current role I am a Libertarian. Frankly though, as a passionate proponent of individual liberty, neither old party (or any of the others) suits me ideally. As a free-thinking individual, I am a “party of one.” There are aspects of the Republican credo that I find acceptable although with a few exceptions their elected officials do not follow through on them. The Libertarian philosophy most closely represents my own view, but like any other party, they are highly critical of non-conformity within their ranks. I guess that’s a sign that the LP is “growing up”…. becoming a “real” party. Although the LP still holds the numero uno position with me for affiliation purposes, I am indifferent about the emphasis of some members on the so-called “social issues” just as I am not influenced by social conservative positions. True liberty….individually observed….doesn’t have “social issue” positions.

For those of you who are prepared to stone me or burn my house let me emphasize that I am personally pro-life from conception to natural death, heterosexual, a practicing believer of marital fidelity and a vigorous supporter of faith-based messages in the marketplace. I do not, however, want the state (government) to enforce my positions on others because I understand the fickle relationship between government and the power of enforcement. Whoever holds the power will use it in a heavy-handed fashion to promote their world view and ideology. I do not want my personal liberty and choices to be at the mercy of a majority of unthinking, uninformed and easily-persuadable voters. If I valued the judgment of sheep, I would be a shepherd.

In addition if someone follows a belief system at odds with my own, as long as they do not attempt to force me to accept theirs or to be politically correct when discussing their choices, go ahead, do your own thing. It’s between them and God as long as they do not try to coerce me into accepting, endorsing or providing special protections for them and their choices. The way I view it is that life is a series of contracts…between God and me, between my spouse and me, between my family and me and my circle of acquaintances and me. Some provisions of the contracts are formal, written and witnessed. Others are less formal but understood by the parties involved.

My party of one recognizes the uniqueness of me as an individual. Certainly I share beliefs, philosophies, principles and priorities with others, but not all of those positions with everyone with whom I often agree. We may have subtle differences, or we may vociferously disagree about one major matter or another even if we are in perfect harmony on others. The defining point is that I will not allow a “party” or a “faction,” as our Founders and Framers describe them, design the parameters of my preferences. If the party shares my view, then I applaud it. If it does not, then I oppose it. The party cannot be my sole identity when it is nothing more than a collection of citizens who “generally” support somewhat similar stances … except for when they don’t or when the party routinely violates its own positions. If the candidate of any party represents my views, I will consider supporting her….assuming I find her trustworthy and believable. My consideration is the principles espoused and supported by the candidate…not the label affixed behind his name. And certainly not this one…..

The principle of liberty is my compass for determining where my allegiances will lie. Lovely rhetoric colored with patriotic jingoism does not sway me. Those who speak of “smaller government” do not convince me. Someone who pledges to do “want the people want” does not impress me. If the people are misled or desire something that is clearly unconstitutional, should our elected officials discard their scruples and their oaths of office to encourage the folly? Not in my world.    

Political parties are not relevant for me anymore. Indeed, the party label may provide a starting point for determining where the loyalties of a particular candidate may lie, but they are not necessarily definitive. For example there are many Blue Dog Democrats that I would prefer over several big government Republicans. Many independent voters claim to “vote for the candidate, not the party.” I guess that I have slipped into that mindset too. The people I support must have individual liberty as their primary criterion for serving. They must honor, respect and obey The Constitution of the United States. Mere lip service will not win my vote or my favor. In fact I despise and loathe career politicians who claim to be small-government constitutionalists but violate that principle rather often. I despise them more than I do the big government types who covet my freedom, my wealth and my property because I know what they want, and I can take measures to counteract them. The politicians who claim to be sympathetic to my priorities and violate them again and again are worthy of contempt.

One advantage with being a party of one is that I’m not concerned with Red States or Blue States. The Electoral College is interesting but not captivating. Liberty, sweet liberty, is the primary impetus for my action and attention. Liberty…first, foremost and forever.




No comments:

Post a Comment