Friday, November 13, 2009

Sacred Invasion

So, my local dying print medium (I know, it's redundant) had a headline today that the Feds had invaded four mosques. My initial reaction was "alright, kick some terrorist butt!" Then, after some sober consideration I wondered if my reaction may have too hasty...too thoughtless. First, let me state that I believe that the government has the Constitutional duty to pursue and apprehend those who are serious threats to our country and our communities. Currently the most ominous and broadscale threats come from radical Islamists whose theology and doctrine justify, in their eyes, the wholesale slaughter of others who do not share their beliefs (or those who do share them, but are collateral damage).

Clearly, when the authorities raid houses of worship, there should be some cause for alarm. Despite my reservations about some of the policies and practices of the Obama, I have no doubt that they will practice a prudent level of constraint when it comes to invading Islamic centers of worship. Only the most egregious violators and dangerous Imams will be subject to federal intervention. The Administration's prostrate presence before the altar of Political Correctness will not allow it to color with a broad brush. Islamic targets will be undeniably dangerous and imminently threatening.

On the other hand, one can detect a certain disdain for the evangelical and fundamental Christian among those who wield power in Washington. It's almost visceral. They distrust the "saved" community, and rarely miss opportunities to denigrate it. Within our recent history the U.S. government has torched a sect in Waco, arrested a loony polygamist, and now, invaded several mosques. I hold no quarter for any of those "religious" groups. They are clearly aberrant in my view, but where is the line? Are the redneck, gun-toting fundamentalist next?

My personal theology and doctrinal base is that I am an evangelical fundamentalist...too fundamental (and legalistic) for many evangelicals and too Calvinist for most fundamentalists. I don't dance too well so I don't qualify as a pentecostal. I do believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of the Living God. That He died for my sins that I, through grace, may have enternal life. So, how long before my belief system is declared to be verboten, and I am considered to be a threat.

In every town or city in this country one can find little store-front churches and mosques. Maybe some of the preachers are shouting from their pulpits that America is going to hell and must be reformed and restored. They may proclaim that God's wrath will destroy this modern day Sodom and reduce it to rubble. What if some "enlightened" bureaucrat in the Department of Justice decides that the preacher is encouraging sedition?
Who's next? The snake handlers? The Roman Catholics? Independent Baptists? Amish

For now, I am not applauding the raiding of the mosques as vigorously as I was before.

No comments:

Post a Comment