Friday, November 13, 2009

To the moon, Alice.

It appears that Neil Armstrong should have taken a jug with him to the moon because the NASA gangs says there is water there. Now I admit that I am a scientific ignoramus, but isn't water two parts hydrogen to one part oxygen? Hmmm. My meager understanding of science causes me to assume that the presence of water on the moon suggests one of two conclusions: 1) the level of oxygen is quite low thus limiting the quantity of  lunar water, or 2) oxygen may have been somewhat abundant at one time, but the bulk of the O was trapped when the water froze thereby limiting the oxygen available on the spheroid's surface.

So, does this discovery imply that the moon once upon a time could have sustained some form of life, or is it more likely that a cluster of little solo oxygen molecules met up with some hydrogen dudes and joined together to withstand the rigors of the bleak and forbidding moonscape. So, now we know that the "man in the moon" had something to drink. What did/does he eat? I understand that it is a significant discovery, but I really would like to know the primary "why" its important. For some time I have been aware that the moon may be the repository for minerals and elements that would ultimately be tapped for use on earth. Does the discovery of water alter that scenario? Will efforts now be directed towards the search for microorganisms that may be suspended in the lunar glaciers?

Even though I am scientifically unsophisticated, I am, nevertheless, fascinated the discoveries. I was so intrigued by the puzzles created by an answer that I couldn't resist addressing them. If you have any answers or any theories for me, please share them in the comments on the blogsite or thru direct Facebook. Thanks.

http://www.littlestuff-minoosha.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment