Saturday, November 6, 2010

Littlestuff Weekender

Some notes and observations from the campaign trail:


We often drove several hours for a candidate forum whereupon we were allotted 2-3 minutes to sway the audience. Those time constraints required that we develop something memorable to catch the attention of the audience. Here are a few of our attempts to impress the people.

- “There are three reasons that you should vote for me—I’m old, I’m crazy and I’m angry!”

The “old” description was used to flashback to my previous service in the Legislature, adding how many of the people that I served with remain in politics, and emphasizing that things haven’t gotten better in the last quarter century.

The “crazy” descriptor was my justification for running statewide as a third/minor party candidate who believes that principle trumps party.

Finally, the “angry” highlighted my passion for cleaning the stable and restoring Constitutional government to Ohio.



- “Hi, I’m Charlie Earl, and I’m a radical extremist!”

I am radically ticked off that our career politicians, so-called public servants, have allowed the fiscal structure of our country and our state to drift and slide towards bankruptcy.

I am extremely angry that they have spent the wealth of future generations while expanding the Nanny State in an attempt to control our lives.



- (Usually a closer) “Remember, if you’re angry with career politicians, E.A.R.L., Earl is a four-letter word!”





We cherished the opportunity to travel our amazing state “all at once.” Like many of you, I have, over my lifetime been to many venues in our remarkable state, but to see all of it in 9 months was an eye-opener for me. While the Cinci-Dayton corridor and the Columbus-Delaware County areas appear to be doing quite well, the remainder of Ohio is hurting. I can recall driving along SR 104 and observing several rural homes “for sale.” Many of these were of modular construction, with a small shed or barn, and sitting on a 2-acre plot. They represented someone’s dream—a little country home with some room for the kids to roam. A dream that had gone sour.



As an advocate of free markets, I do not embrace the “bailout/debt-forgiveness” strategies of the left. I firmly believe that one of our greatest freedoms is the freedom to fail—to learn and to try again. In order for us to have ample opportunities to recover from our lapses, government must get out of the way, and stay out of the way.



Maybe I’m a Neanderthal, but it seems to me that the more helpful that government is, the less self-reliant the people become. As we observe the monstrous fiscal crisis that is on our doorstep, we wonder if three generations of government intervention have weakened the will, and the ability, of the people to fail, to learn and to try again.



It is my goal to continue my efforts to be an “Evangelist for Liberty” in the months ahead. If any of you need a speaker for your Tea Party, 912, Liberty or Patriot groups, Rotary, Kiwanis, Lions or Chamber of Commerce, please contact me. I promise you a stirring and uplifting message. Although I generally prefer to concentrate on Ohio, I will travel to Indiana, Michigan, Kentucky, West Virginia, Pennsylvania and Illinois. I will, in fact, be addressing the Conclave of the Michigan Libertarian Party on February 5th.



You can respond to this blog or schedule a speaking date by emailing:

Earl4sos@gmail.com

cnpearl@woh.rr.com

2 comments: