Friday, November 5, 2010

Longtime Loving

One of my all-time favorite songs is George Jones’ “He Stopped Loving Her Today.” It’s a poignant lament about a lifetime committed to unrequited devotion. Only through the finality of death did the old gent stop his longing for his lost love. Country music is often heralded as the genre’ that most reflects the real-life experience of the average low-brow American. Trains, trucks, guns, booze and heartbreak seem to be the dominant themes on my XM Country stations. While my musical talents are limited, my tastes are eclectic, and I find myself becoming more attracted to Country as the years go by. It represents, in my view, a metaphor for the state of the nation and our state of mind.


Like many citizens of the United States, I spent my early years taking Liberty, Freedom and Opportunity for granted. I accepted the premise that my goals and dreams were limited only by my vision, my energy and my determination. Sometime during the past fifty years, that formula for self-fulfillment was seriously altered, and I failed to note the change. The rules were changed, and without a clue, I was clinging to the old ways. Liberty was no longer considered a God-given natural right, but was a precious commodity to be parceled out in tiny increments by a kind and generous government.

Many jurists, legislators, administrators and citizens had twisted the “pursuit of happiness” into a justification for government oversight and intervention into nearly every aspect of our daily lives. In addition, the “general welfare” clause was expanded to the point of becoming an all-inclusive justification for governmental intrusion and involvement. So, how can a mindless, heartless, soulless entity like our leviathan government insure the general welfare and promote the pursuit of happiness for 312million people? Do we share the same dreams? Do we have similar talents and abilities? Are our ambitions and desires equally distributed? To me, the answers to these questions are self-revealing, and demonstrate clearly the impotence and unresponsiveness of too-big government.

Admittedly, my view springs from the individualist perspective. Big government advocates accept the collectivist point-of-view. These world views are incompatible, and no meaningful compromise is acceptable for either group of advocates. These two mindsets are diametrically opposed to one another and cannot co-exist in any meaningful way. For several decades the collectivist mentality has controlled the agenda while individualists meekly succumbed to the usurpation of natural Law. As one individual who believes that God granted me the spark of life and the free will to make my own decisions, I apologize for my silence in years gone by. Just as God has granted me the power to choose Him…or reject Him (and face the consequences), I also have the individual power to yield or to reject the smothering oppressive big government intervention into every aspect of my life.

Henceforth, I will battle, confound, resist and undermine the mindless, heartless and soulless state. Liberty is a gift from God, and I shall not squander it willingly.

Comments are welcome: cnpearl@woh.rr.com
                                     earl4sos@gmail.com

2 comments:

  1. I applaud this insightful and superbly written article. It is 100% accurate. Thanks so much for sending it to me.

    ReplyDelete