Monday, December 20, 2010

Joy

Webster defines “Joy” as “a very glad feeling, happiness, delight.” Seems somewhat understated to me. You may wonder how I can devote an entire column to a three letter word, but as we approach Christmas Day, I believe that we should be wrapping ourselves in Joy. First, I wish to examine the spiritual implications of joy, and then pursue Joy’s place in the political realm.


Strong’s Dictionary of the Bible provides some additional texture to the Webster definition. Such terms as “rejoice”, “gleeful,” “cheerfulness,” “exultation,” and “gratitude” expand the concept of joy beyond mere pleasure or happiness. Joy is much deeper and more enduring than momentary giddiness. My personal definition is that Joy is the perfect merger of unconditional love and divine purpose. As a Christian who has accepted Christ and consequently enjoys a personal relationship with Almighty God, I am the unworthy recipient of His unconditional love. Christ’s intervention has assured me of my worthiness, and the Holy Spirit’s guidance helps me to transform God’s love into a purpose for me to honor him. The Joy is a result of my awareness that I am worthy, through Christ, of God’s love, that I am in fellowship with the Creator, and that my life, my walk and my path have a purpose.

The Joy that I have in the permanency of my salvation provides a buffer or a reservoir of hope when I have doubts about my faith, my commitment or my worthiness. The Holy Spirit whispers and nudges me as I make my way down the path of purpose (walking the walk). Sometimes I stumble, and sometimes I stray, but He is there to lead me back upon the path. (Once in awhile He has to shove me back on track). He has provided me with lamps for my feet so that I can take note of every step…one at a time. I cannot see too far ahead because I may become discouraged or rush too quickly toward the goal. The Joy comes from knowing that I have been embraced, and that I know the path to follow.

The political aspect of Joy is quite similar to the spiritual component. When one understands the liberating ideal of freedom, our environment becomes radically altered. While liberty is a concept, one can internalize the essence of freedom, and enjoy the personal transformation that occurs upon the realization that you, subject only to God, are in charge of your destiny. You will never fall prey to victimhood even when you’ve been defeated (momentarily) or thwarted. You KNOW that you own yourself and the results of your labor, your intellect and your creativity. In the spiritual world you can dedicate yourself and your production to Him, but in the secular world no one can legitimately deprive you of yourself, your labor or your property. No force is powerful enough to control your heart and your thoughts unless you allow it. They may confiscate your property. They may enslave you, but they cannot own YOU. Even if you may be losing many of Life’s battles, the knowledge that who you are is determined by you, leads you to understand that you will not, you cannot be defeated. The joy comes from knowing that you will not bend, you will not break, and ultimately you will prevail.

The “peace of God which transcends all understanding” is the product of the joy that results from knowing who you are and understanding your purpose for life.

Comment: earl4sos@gmail.com or cearlwriting@hotmail.com

www.littlestuff-minoosha.blogspot.com

1 comment: