Monday, November 16, 2009

How's the weather?

Al Gore and his cohorts have burrs up their butts because they are alarmed about global climate change (formerly global warming). Where I sit here in Northwest Ohio, we call climate change..."seasons." I absolutely love climate change. Without it my perfect little plot of paradise would be covered by tons of ice and snow. Because of climate change, the glacier receded, and the Great Black Swamp was formed. My fantastic little farmette is located in what once was the Black Swamp. Another benefit for me was that as the ice melted, the Great Lakes remained. I now enjoy having Lake Erie a mere twenty-five miles from my little haven of happiness.

Perhaps there were some drawbacks associated with the melting of my local glacier. Some polar bears may have perished or were forced to hustle their fuzzy tails north. If the glacier had never receded, then Michigan and Ohio would not have had the high levels of unemployment that they are experiencing today. We wouldn't have Toledo or Detroit (hmmm   good, bad...bad, good...hmmm). Because we now longer have the massive clump of ice here, mosquitos are annoyingly present. And so are fast food restaurants.

My little plot of land wouldn't be accessible today if it weren't for some dirty Central American idustrialist who indiscriminately poluted the air while reaping filthy profits. Oh wait...there were no industrialists back then...dirty or otherwise. Maybe some insensitive tribesmen caused global warming because they excessively struck their flints or rubbed their sticks too fast. That's it. That's the ticket. That explains manmade global warming in earlier epochs. Or maybe, just maybe, the sun had something to do with it then...and now.

Personally, climate change has been a good thing. I find it ironic when many of those who raise the alarm about climate change proclaim that it will ultimately destroy most of humankind, but they willingly endorse the killing of unborn babies. Save the group, but discard the individual. So, tell me which of the following scenarios you would prefer: 1.) To live for a few months in your mother's womb, feel the beat of her heart, hear her voice and move when she moves, then to be ripped limb from limb and discarded in a dumpster, or
2.) To spend four score years loving, laughing, some pain, some sorrow while having to cope with a theoretical two-tenths of a degree increase in earthly temperature? Maybe your child or grandchild or great, great, great, great grandchild will fix the problem...if it really exists.

Listen to your local weatherperson for a few days. Many of them provide historical data for each calendar day. You might hear something like this, "The coldest recorded November 16th in Northwest Ohio was in 1892 when the mercury hovered at minus 3 degrees. The hottest eleven-sixteen on record was 1942 when the temperature reached a eighty-seven degrees." This example is not real, but does illustrate that on any given historical day, there were highs and lows. And maybe they are getting progessively warmer in a general sense, but not in a particular day-by-day measurement.

So think what you wish, I'm happy that my little patch no longer requires that I build an igloo for shelter. 

2 comments:

  1. Right on! When "Global Ice Age" becomes the scare tactic, Global Warming will be forgotten. I believe that "party pundits" of both major parties espouse such scare tactics in order to paralyse the masses and while we (the ignorant masses) are supposedly shaking in our boots, enact political changes which would otherwise be unacceptable to us, the American people. I equate it to "Rape By Terror".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said, Charlie. Show me the science, and leave out the "coulds, mights, and maybes". You know, proven science, rather than salesmanship or coercion. "If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull#$*%".

    I can't get beyond the thought that the current administration is all about the power grab. The fact that they're not at all shy about grabbing the reigns of the auto industry, banking industry, or maybe any industry that emits a politically target-able breath, concerns me big time. I have a hard time seeing any end to their desire to take the money from the productive and use it to "protect the masses", "Hey, while you're in there rummaging around, turning all the knobs, could you also grab hold of my thermostat, my accelerator, and my toilet water?"

    When my brother becomes my keeper, I'm less his brother and more his dependent.
    I'll pass, thanks. Let's talk again next November.

    ReplyDelete