Friday, November 20, 2009

Radio-active: Littlestuff's Fairness Doctrine.

AA couple of my reader friends have gently chided me for constantly attacking leftists. They suggest that there are some on my side of the political spectrum who could be critiqued. So, as the weak and compliant sap, I offer to you my views about four giants in conservative talk radio. I have chosen Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Glenn Beck and Mark Levin as the largely unwilling recipients of my remarks. There are others to whom I listen, but not frequently enough to warrant informed criticism.
El Rushbo

Rush is the king of conservative talk radio. He has been syndicated since 1988 and is heard on more than 600 radio stations in the United States. My first introduction to MahaRushie was in 1990. A psychologist friend thought that I might enjoy Rush's bombastic style of talk and entertainment. He was right. I have been a somewhat faithful listener for the last nineteen plus years. There is no doubt that Rush is a conservative. He cherishes the history and stated principles of our republic. In earlier years, his devotion to our country's basic fundementals was most apparent when he discussed his father and grandfather and their influences on his values and beliefs.

Although the liberals characterize Rush as "the nominal head of the Republican Party," his cheerleading for the GOP has been somewhat muted lately, and he has become straightforwardly conservative. Rush is clearly a professional broadcaster who owns an agile mind and a biting sense of humor. He is often on the vanguard of pragmatic conservative thought, and illustrates "the absurd with absurdity. (paraphrase)" His incessant ridicule of liberals and their half-baked ideas, drives leftists to sputtering fury.

There are a couple of things that Rush does that I find somewhat offputting. First, he often takes credit for predicting liberal actions (implosions or powergrabs) when the evidence for such a claim is sketchy. He retrieves an audio soundbite from sometime in the past that vaguely implies that the present action was predicted by him. To his credit, he does forsee many liberal moves, but that is as much a function of the leftist nature as it is the far-seeing wisdom of Rush. This little flaw is not a show killer for me, but is annoying.

The second issue that I have with Rush is not necessarily his fault. In fact to a degree, I share the weakness. Appropriating the ideas and insights of others without attribution. I am not referring to plagarism. On several occasions I have heard callers to Rush's show express a gem of an idea or nugget of a phrase, and later in the show or subsequent shows, Rush assumes ownership of the glorious tidbit. The reason I submit that this confiscation may not be Rush's fault is that I encounter similar situations myself. As a writer, I am often searching for metaphors, examples or the proper word to adequately express my thoughts. I assume that I have inadvertently used the tools that have been developed by others. Because I am a voracious reader, I am frequently encountering the work of others, ... and perhaps integrating their efforts into my own. As a frequent listener of the Rush Limbaugh show, I occassionally wince when I hear him declare something that a previous caller had stated. It's a small matter...insignificant, but this is a critique.

  Sean

People have remarked that Hannity is a really nice guy. I don't doubt that he is, but because of his penchant for taking an issue or a phrase and beating it to smithereens, he seems to have the persona of a ticked-off pitbull or a perpetually barking Jack Russell terrier with a bad attitude. To his credit Sean's Freedom Concerts and his efforts for the troops are superb standards. He does an amazing amount of good for the movement, but does it repetitively.

Glenn

Glenn Beck is the new hot thing. Since his relocation from Headline News to the Fox News Channel, he has been on fire. Most of issues he addresses are usually right on the money though he tends to exagerate for effect. Sometimes he overemphasizes the importance of seemingly innocuous statements as he reaches to arrive at a nefarious conclusion. In his defense let me observe that even paranoids can have enemies, and while Glenn may seem to construct mountains from molehill material, his big picture is often on target. Another critique I have regarding Glenn's work is that his intensity flat out tires me (pun intended). When his television gig has ended, I am exhausted. A final complaint that I have with Beck is something that entertainers and programers do to hold the audience. Teasing...excessive teasing...not just when going into a break ("when we come back"), but week-long teases, month-long teasers, and year-long, too. Here's a paraphrase: "Americaaa, we have to change what we're doing. Next month at the Final Stop Nursing Home I will announce my plan for a phoenix-like renewal of our country." For Heaven's sake, Glenn, if you have the plan already, give it to us. If you don't have the plan, do not set us up for the Grand Fizzle.


The Great One, Mark Levin

Mark is an attorney who has a great grasp of the Constitution. He forcefully denounces the unrestrained growth of government. I do not get to hear Mark as often as I do the others because his show is scheduled during the evening time in my market and is frequently preempted by sports programming. Nevertheless, while I find Mark to be refreshing and informative, I detect a current of jealousy or disdain for Beck during his show. I don't know what the basis for his dislike may be, but I assume that he hoards some resentment towards Glenn because Mark may believe that Beck is rather unschooled and buffoonish. He's possibly upset that Beck's books are top sellers, and Mark may believe his to be more accurate, more thorough and more substantial. Just guessing. Levin's attitude, as I perceive it, makes him appear as somewhat of a whiner. He does know his stuff and is a top-notch host.


So, my moderate/lefty friends should be satisfied. I have taken some shots at the big four of conservative radio. I still listen. I still learn. These warriors are a vast improvement over an all night Larry King on Mutual, or a Jim Bohanon (Jimbo's OK, but middle of the road) on Westwood, any dolt on Air America (is it still on?) or any dulcet toned, raised pinkie PBS news reader...if all things are considered. They are all working for a stronger, better America. They all love the United States and the values she has historically embraced. I shall continue to listen until everybody agrees with Rush.

No comments:

Post a Comment