Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Coming Soon

Everybody sing: ‘Oh, there’s no business like no snow business.” Or “Drifting along with wind.” Wow, there’s a whole lot of snowin’ goin’ on. The fact that Mom and I are empty nesters (except for Frosty, the Golden Retriever) probably makes the cabin fever somewhat easier to endure. She’s in the main floor office, and I’m safely ensconced in my “man cave” office/entertainment area in the basement. While the lack of mobility has provided a superb opportunity for organizing my office, I find that I’m so “antsy” that I am having difficulty concentrating on easy tasks. Maybe it’s the two pots of Starbuck’s Italian Roast that fired every one of my nerve endings into inattentive hyper-drive, or perhaps it’s the growing awareness that our filing date for Secretary of State looms large. Nine more days until the official filing deadline passes, then we move on to building the base and fine tuning the organization. After the May 4th Primary Election, we shift into full campaign mode. We’ll be crossing the state visiting cities, towns, villages and crossroad clusters of houses. We’ll be attending several dozen fairs and festivals as we seek to meet and greet as many Ohioans as is possible. We’ll appear at various forums and town halls, meetups and service club meetings to share our vision for our state.


These efforts may appear to be a massive exercise in futility, but it wouldn’t be possible at all without some key players. To my wife of nearly 41 years (Mar. 2nd.), thank you, Pat, for allowing and encouraging me to chase this dream. To my children, Kelly and P.J., thank you for being so supportive. Thank you for becoming involved and for your wise counsel. Thank you, also, for your heartfelt concerns about dear old Dad’s health and stamina. For my son-in-law, Kevin, and my daughter-in-law, Heather, thank you for standing with me and cheering me on even though I suspect that you think I’m a tad bit loony. To both of you, thank you so much for promoting my candidacy to your families and friends. Hell, there’s a bushel of votes right there.

For my grandchildren—Shaun, Erin and Sullivan—Thank you for being so special. You are the primary reason(s) that Grandpa (GrampE) is doing this. You are intelligent, talented and loving people, and I want you to live in a country and a state that allows you to reach your full potential. I want a country and a state that will permit you to fail, because when you falter, you get stronger, you become smarter and you understand the pain of others who do not succeed. I want you to be outstanding citizens, passionate members of society and leaders for what is right and good. I love you, and I shudder to think what might become of our nation and Ohio if we don’t act…and act now. I probably won’t have the good fortune to witness your lives as adults, but I believe that if I can light the spark and if your parents will fan the flames, then all of Ohio and the United States of America will be a better place.

Comment or email:  cnpearl@woh.rr.com

No comments:

Post a Comment