Friday, February 12, 2010

Digging In

Except for a short time on Monday, I’ve either been waiting for the snow and wind to stop or outside digging a path through the huge drifts that have settled here on the “Luckey Pearl.” One drift was more than six feet high, and naturally, was directly in the driveway area that had to be cleared. Too many landscape features, fences and buildings have created a trapping point for the blowing snow. The pastures are mostly clear, but in the driveway and parking pad sectors…well, woe is me. As of now, 11:15AM on Thursday, I do have a track that goes from the garage to the street (about 200 yards), but I am somewhat hesitant to challenge it with the AWD Ridgeline or the 2WD Silverado. My 40 HP John Deere has done very well except for the hydraulic lines bursting on Sunday. I emerged from the shower of fluid looking like one of those guys you see when an oil well gushes to life. In my nostrils, on my tongue, in my eyes, all over my aging body and “chore” clothes, the stuff was everywhere. It took 40 minutes to get my glasses cleaned well enough for me to see. Fortunately Andy from Wood County Implement plowed through the drifts on Tuesday and restored the 2040 and the loader to full function mode. Sometimes you get the bear. Sometimes the bear gets you. The really great news is that in a month this snow will probably be gone, and we’ll be complaining about the rain and the mud. Ain’t it great.


It’s time to begin thinking about planting. With the statewide campaign for Secretary of State on my plate, I am trying to decide how large (if any) garden to plant. I have purchased some heritage seeds for quality and replenishment purposes, and don’t want to waste them or cause extra work for Pat if I spend a lot of time on the road. So, I’ll decide by the end of the month whether or not to fire up the growing lights to start the seeds. My dilemma is this: start seeds for safe food and risk losing garden because of neglect…or don’t start seeds, get blown out of statewide race, loss election and famish. ShaZaaam! Because at times I have exhibited flashes of managerial and political brilliance, I have arrived at a feasible solution. No starter, no planting and no garden. As I travel the great state of Ohio while embedded in my normal state of confusion, I shall avail myself of the wondrous bounty of delectable goodies that are present in every little corner of Ohio. I shall travel like a pauper, but eat like a king. Bring it on, Buckeye residents. My palate, taste buds and I are running and munching for Secretary of State. Hide the harvest! Bury the bounty! Here I come.

Comment or email:  cnpearl@woh.rr.com

1 comment:

  1. You should have taken a picture with your oil covered face and made it your campaign picture. Goign' to work for Ohio!

    Diana

    ReplyDelete