Monday, February 13, 2012

A Legacy


As the proud (very, very proud) grandfather of 3 (soon to be 4) wonderful young people and children, one of my greatest concerns is what type of legacy I will leave for them. I don’t mean legacy in the way that most career politicians use the term….a notable political achievement. No, the legacy that I seek is the one that is firmly implanted on their hearts and their characters. Each of them has unique talents and abilities that equip them well for becoming producers and contributors as they mature. For any living thing to flourish it must have the proper atmosphere or environment. My hope as I mold my legacy is that I do enough to provide my grandchildren with a healthy environment for their personal development.

Like many people I have a desire that I want my grandchildren to remember me, but I prefer that they always recall what they have learned from me. My own maternal grandfather was a great source of wisdom for me as I was growing up, and even though I do not get to spend as much time with my grandchildren as I enjoyed with Grandpa, I would hope that I influence them in a similar fashion. Although I have many preferences and priorities, I do not necessarily want to teach them what to think, but I do wish to help them to learn to think rationally. Certainly I hope that they become warm-hearted and generous, but I wish their minds would lead their hearts. There are innumerable opportunities for helping others, so it requires discernment and reason to choose the best method for achieving the most good.

If I were given absolute control over my grandchildren’s futures, I would bless them with the 4-F’s for their futures. Faith, family, freedom and fun are the cornerstones for a well-squared life in my view. It begins with faith because as a Christian, I understand G_d’s wisdom, mercy and grace. They have sustained me in my darkest times, and counseled prudence when I become too self important. Family is the anchor of this worldly life. If one is blessed to have a loving, forgiving and helping family, then most of life’s obstacles can be surmounted. Freedom is a gift from The Almighty, secured by His Son, and nourished by a loving family. Without liberty….without freedom…life can be robotic and unfulfilling. My definition of fun in this context is “doing what you love and loving what you’re doing.” A typical working lifetime is more than half a century long. To endure 50 years of drudgery damages the spirit. Fun at work, at play, at home or where ever is an important aspect of a complete life.

Obviously I want my grandchildren to share my faith and its comfort, but that is a personal matter between each of them and Him. Young people who are convinced that they are immortal often fail to see the need for a Savior. My prayer is that they discover and accept Him sooner rather than later. The supportive family dynamic is something that their parents, their grandmother and I can nurture each and every day. We must remember that our anxieties or impatience can sometimes undermine our desire to build the strong reliable family unit. My passionate desire to have my grandchildren yearn for liberty is one that I rant, rave, preach and speak about quite frequently. My fear is that my intensity may be somewhat off-putting for my beloved progeny.

Fun is a more difficult concept to transmit. The best method for doing so is to live it. Allow the kids to learn by observation and osmosis. We must encourage them to find their talents and their niches without pounding them into the round holes of our expectations and hopes for them. We must be willing to permit them to develop as square pegs as long as they do so with integrity and honor. The results will be worth it.

The beauty of a legacy of this nature is that it need not be probated. No attorney or the government will get a piece of the action when my grandchildren claim their inheritances. Who knows….they may try to tax it before I take my leave from this earth. If so, I’ll fight it. A legacy is a terrible thing to waste….paraphrasingly speaking.

Our Tuesday show will air tomorrow from 6:00-7:00pm on 1370 WSPD.  www.wspd.com




No comments:

Post a Comment